Kayak with Sea Turtles - 4 nts
Glamping, Kayaking and Sea Turtle Conservation in Baja
- Pace: Good for all ages, but must be able to travel overland about 3-4 hours, in small boats, and camp! Participating in turtle monitoring optional, but much fun!
- 5 days/ 4 nights
- Scheduled dates: 2014: Oct 29 - Nov 2, Nov 16 - 20, Dec 7 - 11, Dec 29 - Jan 2, 2015 2015: Jan 12 - 16, Mar 31 - Apr 4, Apr 24 - 28 (ask about private departures for your group)
- Price: $1360 US per person, based on double occupancy | Kids under 11 are entitled to 30% discount with paid adult
Paddle in Baja through dense mangrove canals lush with wildlife and take part in a sea turtle conservation project, recognized around the world as a model for community based conservation. You will learn about the importance of the green sea turtle's survival from our base camp on a secluded shell island. Spend time exploring Magdalena Bay discovering neighboring islands and hiking up pristine sand dunes that lead to miles of untouched beaches. Experience the perfect combination of adventure, discovery and comfort for all ages.
Spend 4 nights camping in Magdelena Bay, really it's 'glamping', with all tents, cots, and linens provided, and meals far beyond camp cooking! Days are spent in pangas and talking to local fishermen, help them set the nets in the channel, initiating the sea turtle monitoring. If you prefer, you can just relax and watch the birds, marine mammals and other natural wonders that surround the island before kayaking out to observe the turtle nets. Monitoring goes on throughout the day. Also there is time for kayaking through lush mangrove canals teeming with birds and marine life.
- Accommodations: Field camping (tents and mattress,linens,pillows provided) Toilet &shower facilities are environmentally friendly & integrated into the landscape.
- Included: Ground transportation from La Paz to Magdalena Bay and back (about 3 hours each way), boat transportation to camp and back, all meals starting on lunch of day one and ending on lunch of day 5, drinks including wine and beer, taxes, a 3% donation to RED´s community conservation fund, comfortable camping accommodations.
- Not included: International air, breakfast on day 1 and dinner on day 5, hotels or transportation prior or after the trip, tips (suggested10-15% of the trip fee)
This trip supports research on black sea turtles as part of the Grupo Tortuguero program. This information provides vital data on health, migration patterns and habitat use of sea turtles in Magdalena Bay, ultimately providing policymakers and authorities with the tools they need to make strategic decisions towards the species' conservation. Travelers also play an important role in conserving Magdalena Bay's natural resources, providing a complementary, sustainable source of employment in a zone plagued by overfishing and poaching.
Bring: Binoculars, camera, swim wear. More details will be sent.