Birding Honduras-5 Nights
- Pace: Walks each day, Warm temperatures.
- 6 days /5 nights
- Scheduled Dates: March 3-8, 2014
- Led by: JB Journeys guide, Laurie Foss, assisted by local guides
- Price: $1995 per person in double occupancy. Single supplement: $725
Adventure, nature and luxurious comfort describe the Lodge at Pico Bonito in Honduras. Home to half of Honduras’ 700 avian species, Pico Bonito is a dream destination for birders.
The Lodge at Pico Bonito offers unparalleled experiences and exploration into the natural world, in addition to comfort and service. Their 400 acre property together with Pico Bonito National Park and Cuero y Salado Manatee Refuge encompass eight distinct ecosystems, each with their own resident and migrant avian species. Three multi-story canopy observation towers offer maximum viewing and photography opportunities, and the grounds feature a privately maintained trail system.
Among 400 acres of tropical wilderness and one of Central America's largest unexplored rainforests, you have a chance to hike to waterfalls, wake to early morning bird song, tour a butterfly farm and serpentarium.
Your itinerary will include 6 days and 5 nights at the Lodge. Guided tours will include the Cuero y Salado Manatee Refuge, Emerald Hummingbird Excursion to the Rio Aguan Valley, a day-exploring the Pico Bonito rainforest (all three Important Bird Areas), as well as Lancetilla Botanical Gardens, one of the most diverse gardens in the world. Guided bird walks will take place daily on the lodge property’s well maintained trails.
Led by Laurie Foss who will be assisted by local guides. Laurie started birding in 1971 at the urging of her high school science teacher in Wisconsin. Since moving to Austin in 2003 she has discovered the joys of Hill Country birds and birding. A member of Travis Audubon and a board member of the Friends of Balcones Canyonlands NWR, as well as other local, state and national birding organizations, Laurie is active leading field trips, teaching birding classes, traveling to see birds and working for habitat conservation.
- Accommodations: Lovely, comfortable jungle lodge, private bath, hot water, delicious food
- Included: Ground transportation, 5 nights' accommodations with tax and service charge, entry fees, all meals.
- Not Included: International airfare, guide gratuities ($5-7 per day), any alcohol, personal charges.
Bring: Binoculars, field clothes, camera, batteries needed, water bottle. Your guide will have a spotting scope.