Grano de Oro
Concept: Situated just off Paseo Colon, San Jose’s main street, Hotel Grano de Oro is a true oasis in the heart of the city. Formerly a tropical Victorian mansion, the 40-room hotel maintains the warmth and comfort of a private home with the amenities of a fine hotel. Service is paramount.
Location: Located 20 minutes from the international airport and 10 minutes from the domestic airport, the hotel is ideally located for exploring San Jose on holiday, and convenient for business as well.
Dining: A blend of Costa Rican tropical with European cuisine under the expertise of French chef Francis Canal, the restaurant was once a simple cafe, and has evolved into one of San Jose’s finest dining establishments and is frequented by locals and tourists alike. The Bar Grano de Oro is a popular watering spot.
Activities: This popular and well situated hotel is a great spot for those who wish to stay in the city and do day tours.
Contact us for prices
Sustainability: The Hotel Grano de Oro works hard to preserve the environment around it by implementing various programs within the hotel, educating our employees and neighbors on what actions they can take to preserve our country, as well as support a Social Project for adolescent mothers and their children.
A brief overview of conservation program:
- We have a detailed waste management program in place within the hotel and 90% of our waste is either recycled, composted or sent to a pig farm to be used as feed.
- We buy many products in bulk and encourage our employees to use only reusable containers for their lunches.
- The majority of our light bulbs have been changed to energy saving fluorescent bulbs.
- All of our rooms have low flush toilets and guests are encouraged to use their sheets and towels for more than one day.
- Our employees are taught to turn off all lights, air, computers, etc when they are not needed as well as to conserve water by not letting the taps run.
- The majority of our staff are locals and we train and work with them to excel in the positions they are hired for. We also try to promote from within our staff wherever possible.
The owners of Hotel Grano de Oro founded Casa Luz in 2003. Casa Luz is a non-profit Christian home for adolescent teenage mothers who come from extreme poverty and abuse. Here they are offered more than just food and shelter, they are offered a chance to live, learn and grow. Casa Luz offers these young mothers a chance to go to school, learn a trade, and teaches them to become independent. Once the mothers have completed the program within Casa Luz, they are given a choice to enter into Phase 2, which are single living apartments across the street from the home where they can live a more independent life, learn to work for a living, and still have the support of the Casa Luz family.