Panama Canal Sailing-8 nts
CANAL SAILING - IN DEPTH EXPLORATION OF THE PANAMA CANAL
- Easy pace, a lot of walking
- 9 days/8 nights
- Scheduled dates - 2015: March 25 - April 2 (northbound) April 27- May 5 (northbound), May 4-12 (southbound), Nov 18-26 (northbound), Nov 25-Dec 3 (southbound)
- US$4,195 per person/double. Single supplement: US$1,935.
- To all prices add 7% tax
This is an in-depth study of Panama's waterways and her history.
A journey on the DISCOVERY is a feast of intense, sensory experiences: the aroma of remote places, the texture of unknown things, the multicolor tapestry of nature, the accent of unheard languages, the exquisite flavor of what has never before been tasted and the knowledge absorbed; that is the incomparable feeling of penetrating the secrets of other worlds. That proximity is life, it is beginning and end. The yearning for that closeness is the virtue and spirit of the true traveler and it is the reason for the Journey Between the Seas. That communion of body and spirit is only possible within the intimate realm of a compact craft, designed to cover the narrowest marine routes that take us to pristine lands.
Your journey begins in Panama city. Sailing during the day takes you to the Pearl Islands (home to Survivor TV series), where you can snorkel and swim; the mysterious Darien Jungle and a visit to an Embera Indian village; a full transit of the Panama Canal, with an overnight in Gatun Lake; and a full day to explore Barro Colorado Island, home to the Smithsonian's Tropical Research Center. Finally the boat leaves the Canal and you'll have time to visit Portobelo, the historic customs house and fascinating church of the Black Christ.
After these slow and easy days crossing Panama in one direction, we return to the Pacific on Panama Canal Railway, which takes a mere one hour! The train was the first trans-continental railroad built, back in the 1850s. The route passes through lush rainforest, cruising along the Canal's locks, through the historic Gaillard Cut and over Gatun Lake.
Southbound sailings operate in reverse order.
A crew of ten has been carefully selected and trained to ensure the perfect journey for up to 24 exclusive passengers of the Discovery. Inside the cozy, spacious cabins and lounges, the magic of night melts imperceptibly with the fabulous sunrises at amazing places that offer their purest charms at dawn ready for a day of exploration. From its decks, everything looks close, vivid, amazing, moving and…unforgettable.
- Accommodations: Spacious cabins with private bath.
- Max of 24 passengers with crew of 10
- Included: Lodging, meals as specified in the itinerary (B - breakfast, L - lunch, D - dinner) and drinks on board, all land and water transportation within Panama, transportation, shore excursions and use of equipment, all airport/hotel transfers on scheduled arrival and departure dates, services charges and crew gratuities, port charges, services of an in-bound land operator for airline re-confirmations and tour operations
- Not Included: International airfare, gratuities for guides, alcoholic beverages, personal equipment