Kayaking Portugal-8 nts
- Pace: Soft adventure, 3-5 hours/day in kayak, some hiking. Not extreme, but should be in good health and active.
- 9 days/ 8 nights
- Scheduled dates: 2014: Sep 2, 11. 2015: June 2, Sep 7, 17, 27. 2016: June 2, Sep 7, 17, 27
- Price: 2014: $5,395 per person/double, $790 single. 2015: $5,795 per person/double, $655 single. 2016: tba
Often overlooked, Portugal is a beautiful place and we offer you the chance to visit small towns, stay in authentic quintas, and savor traditional Portuguese cuisine, local wines, and port, and travel the Douro River by kayak! Spring/summer flowers will be on display in June, or join a September group for grape harvest.
Small groups (maximum 12) will spend 5 days kayaking on the river (3-5 hours per day), passing breathtaking scenery filled with vineyards. The Douro Valley is one of the oldest winemaking regions in Europe and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We stop for picnic lunches along the river's edge, ad by late afternoon, we'll reach our destination, while our luggage has been sent separately. Nights are sepnt at guest houses, such as Quinta do Barracço de Vilariça, an organic wine, cheese and sheep farm. Meals are very local, and we will dine with the family.
Mid-week we take a break from paddling to explore the history and culture of the Coa Valley, through vineyards and orchards, then visit another World Heritage Site with extensive Paleolithic drawings dated from 22,000 to 10,000 BC. And then back on the river for more paddling, vast scenes of vineyards, old farmhouses, and delicious meals from the farm's bounty. We end our cultural and culinary journey in Pinhão, one of the principal port regions.
- Accommodations: Comfortable and quaint quintas, old manor houses or farmsteads, many centuries old, lived in and run by farming families who have grown grapes and made win for generations. An exclusive opportunity.
- Included: Airport transfers, accommodations, land transport, meals (from Day 1 dinner to final day breakfast, some wine and port at meals, all kayak and safety equipment, use of dry bags, permits, entry fees, taxes and services of kayak guide and local assistants.
- Not included: transport to/from Porto, alcoholic drinks other than included wines/port. Mandatory medical evacuation insurance, due to remote area of travel.
Bring: Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, comfortable clothes for kayaking or hiking, something a little nicer for dinners.