Yoga & Wellness - 6 nts
- Pace: Easy, though some walking on cobblestone streets
- 6 days / 7 nights
- Scheduled Dates: Starts any Sunday
- Price: Contact us for price, including group discounts
Few places feel more right for a week of wellness and yoga practice than Guatemala. This one week itinerary spends 3 nights in the ancient capital city of Antigua, and 3 nights on the shores of beautiful Lake Atitlan.
In Antigua, you will have yoga sessions geared to your needs and experience. Additionally, you will take a walking tour of this fabulous old city, learning about the influence of the Maya as well as the Europeans. Antigua is a pleasant city, about one hour from Guatemala City, at an altitude of about 3000 feet. You can just imagine the consistent cool temperatures.
The Maya are known for their beautiful weavings, with each village different showing different patterns. Truly, they are works of art. We will talk to some people who can tell us about the patterns and methods of weaving, natural dyes, symbolism, and see how the back strap loom is used.
On the way to Lake Atitlan, you will visit the Maya site of Iximche and take part in a shaman ceremony. Before dinner you will have an evening yoga session on the lake shore. On Thursday, following the morning yoga session, you will have the balance of the day at Chichicastenango to see the famous market, visit the Catholic Church of Santo Tomas, and perhaps see if any rituals are being performed at the cemetery. The Chichi market is nothing short of amazing. In addition to fabulous bargains on textiles, ceramics, and other crafts, just to witness the interaction among the various Maya groups is worth the trip. St Thomas church is part Catholic but mostly Maya and is worth a visit.
Lake Atitlan is one of the most beautiful in the world and demands a boat trip. You will visit a women's textile coop and see weaving and dying processes, and visit the studios of some of the celebrated naif painters.
- Accommodations: Very nice and comfortable boutique hotels, good meals
- Included: 6 nights lodging with taxes, private guided tours of Antigua (a half day walking tour), half day textile tour including visit to a Mayan home, shaman ceremony at the Maya site Iximche, Chichicastenango craft market and church, Maya specialist presentation, San Juan la Laguna women's textile cooperative, studio/homes of celebrated naif painters, Santiago textile cooperative, transfers throughout, boat trip across Lake Atitlan, meals as listed (B= Continental Breakfast, L=Lunch)
- Not Included: International airfare and taxes, gratuities, alcohol & items of a personal nature
BRING: Camera, yoga mat, comfortable walking shoes