Guatemala-Holy Week-7 nts
Semana Santa Tour
Easter processions in Guatemala
- Pace: Active, lots of walking on cobble-stoned streets
- 8 days/7 nights
- Scheduled dates: 2018: Mar 20-27 / 2019: Apr 9-16 / 2020: Mar 31-Apr 7
- Price: 2018: $1295 per person/double with 10 traveling. ($1375 with 8; $1450 with 6)
- Single supplement $350 (limited) Singles are either a double room at single rate or a smaller room.
- Tikal itinerary and pricing on request
- Download detailed itinerary Click for SLIDESHOW
Considered one of the most colorful celebrations in the New World, processions and vigils are scheduled throughout Lent, but none are as beautiful and magical as those in Antigua, Guatemala, the lovely colonial city just one hour from the capitol. We have chosen to attend the amazing Palm Sunday procession, where thousands of men in Roman robes carry life sized - or larger - wooden figures, which tell the Easter story. The processions go through the streets of Antigua, passing over elaborate, colorful alfombras, or carpets, made of flower petals and colored sawdust. This tradition has gone on for centuries; there is mention of it back to the 1500's.
- Accommodations: 5 nights Hotel Los Pasos, a boutique hotel in Antigua. 2 nights Jenna's B&B in Panajachel, all rooms with private bath and hot water.
- Included: Transportation as listed by van (note much of our day tours will be walks), seven nights lodging with taxes, daily breakfast, visits on excursions as listed with any entry fees, two lunches, three dinners, basic tips (for servers, drivers, guides providing included services)
- Not Included: International airfare (to Guatemala City), meals not listed, drinks during meals, special gratuities, personal insurance
Bring: Comfortable walking shoes (lots of walking, much on cobble-stoned streets), light sweater or jacket for cool evenings, hat, sunscreen, camera. For Tikal extension, bring bug spray, hat, bug juice, swimsuit, comfortable shoes.